Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Mary

I don't know if she is the best example given in the Bible, but I have always been impressed by the humility of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
The angel Gabriel comes to Mary and says to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy offspring shall be called the Son of God." To this unbelievably and life-altering news, Mary replies, "Behold, the bondslave of the Lord; be it done to me according to your word."
I have always wondered whether she said this with trembling lips, or if she had full confidence and peace at that moment. I am inclined to believe the first - but nevertheless, it represents great faith and humility on her part. She was a young girl, engaged to be married. What a self-centered time that can be for a girl! In the midst of perhaps the happiest time of planning in her life, she is told that her life will never be the same. Granted, it was an esteeming position to be placed in by God. But probably not very esteeming in the eyes of those she lived near, and to her friends. It had the potential to ruin her relationship with Joseph, apart from the fact that God intervened. She could even have been stoned for the sin of fornication. Yet she accepts this message from the Lord with a resigned spirit, ready to fulfill God's will for her life.
I wish I approached the small "bumps" in the road that God places in my life with such faith and humility as Mary!

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Good example, MM. I like to ponder these words of Mary, too. It amazes me to think that she was so humble and submissive, even when she didn't really understand all that she was undertaking. I think this news would have really scared me. What does it mean that the power of the Most High will overshadow you? Pregnancy is scary enough, and Mary was launched into an experience like no other. Looking back on Mary's experience with the gospel knowledge God has given us, we understand why her story unravelled the way it did. It is easy to forget that she didn't know what would be in store for her and her Son and had to "ponder all these things in her heart." May we be as faithful and humble as she was in the midst of our walk!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

See this is why I love this forum. I never thought of Mary before. But she is a great example, you can see her "not my will but thy will be done" spirit... in other words, SHE'S FLEXIBLE! She sees who she is before her Creator and Lord of All and responses according to her humble position..

Cool! Keep them coming ladies! I'm loving this.

7:21 AM  
Blogger MM said...

We want to hear from you too, Linda!! :) :)

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home